Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mat Sant - Studio 47




1. Describe your work.


At present I'm exploring mark-making. Looking at surface textures and compositions from the world around me, making marks that describe both the physical appearance and sensual characteristics of everyday surfaces. I'm interpreting what I see and think into creative observations that I hope communicate to my curiosities about sight and touch. In particular, I'm interested in road and pavement surfaces that show age and wear. Road markings are also of special interest to me.

2. How did you come to be doing the work that you do?

When filling in my university application form, I decided to go to art college because a girl I fancied was going there. I never did get to date her, but instead I became interested in printing. I also spent a fortune doing six years at college gaining a few degrees along the way.

My interest in road markings is a rip off from someone else's work, but I thought I could do a better job at it.

Another way of looking at it is that I managed to get here by pure chance.

3. Where do you look for inspiration?

The road. On occasion, I venture down small alleyways and mews', but I mainly stick to places I know.

4. What is your favourite place?

My house. In particular; in front of the fire place.


5. If you could own one piece of art what would it be?

Probably something by Picasso. Perhaps something in blue... or maybe 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon.'


6. What is your favourite website?

Probably Screwfix

Mat Sant

No comments: