Tuesday, September 2, 2008

David Ben White - Studio 65




1.Describe your work.


Painting. At present it is mainly figurative, but over the last year, it has been predominantly abstract. I tend to work within a particular framework of ideas that connect up and disband. My work has tends to look cartoon-like, overtly expressive with clear gestural brushmarks and lots of drips, especially as the work is scaled up..

2. How did you come to be doing the work that you do?

I started to think about certain elements of what painting can do for me that excites me. I then started to reason out a way in which I saw life around me and then decided to bring a strong degree of auto biographical elements into the work. Not always, however, as you can find groups of works like ‘Mummy loves Daddy’ as being less about that.

3. Where do you look for inspiration?

Everywhere- on the street- I tend to draw a lot and it generally will lead to starting a painting- which then takes on its own life and heads off in another direction- I generally find that the act of painting is the main inspiration.

4. What is your favourite place?

Tel Aviv, Sicily, particularly Palermo, to name two straight off- and London- as inspiration.

5. If you could own one piece of art what would it be?

Rembrandt’s self-portrait in Kenwood.

6. What is your favourite website?

Hmmmm nothing comes to mind-

David Ben White

No comments: