Friday, September 12, 2008

Giles Phelps aka Slipmode - Studio 11




1. Describe your work. My personal work is basically mixed media, my commercial work is "Creative Brand Communications". So this means I work with video, photography, graphic illustration, interaction design, and more recently heavy doses of audio... The line between my commercial work & my personal work is kinda thin, how I pay the rent & put food on the table is by working with Advertising & design agencies, and to a lesser degree Record Companies, & on occasion Film companies. Since I've been at GWS I've created: a 182 page coffee table book for the Apart art gallery, helps create the ideas behind 3skyphone then went on to work on the 360º nation wide launch campaign across the UK, created the multi media launch platform for the Aston Martin Rapide to the worlds press, created cinema ads for the theScreen.biz, helped Tyler Brulé & Dan Hill set up the digital broadcast devision of Monocle Magazine, created interactive on-line campaigns for Lexus, Blackberry & Waitrose, attempted to turned 6 Smart cars into a giant newtons cradle, created an on-line viral site "the worlds biggest mexican wave dot com" for British Telecom & Fon, made a film with SPECIALTEN about "Juergen Teller", directed a film about the making of Nil By Mouth featuring Gary Oldman, Ray Winston & Eric Clapton, done some nice 12" remix's for Ninja Tunes artist Luke Vibert ~ I'm maybe about to do some Limited Edition sneakers for New Balance & maybe a film with KRINK, i've got a new project about to come out called "Driptease", oh and I also created Kate Banazi's web site :) I don't really see a distinction between commercial work & my own really, as I have to sell both to live ~ I learned the hard way at Central St Martins that after my MA degree show the only way to pay off my student load was to sell my work to the ICA as a solo digital installation! which quite a while back now, I did. Ok so the ICA did not pay off my loan ~ the work it got subsequently certainly has. I think I'm right in that I'm one of two artists in GWS to have had an exhibition at the ICA ? or you can just go & laugh at http://www.slipmode.com

2. How did you come to be doing the work that you do?


I was & still am sh*t at maths & english, but I need to tell a story & engage people on an emotive level that goes beyond words & numbers, so an (F) in those subjects but an MA in communication Design... go figure on that one... what else was a kid from Notting Hill into graffiti, hip hop & street art gonna do when the the the rest of his peers went off to collage? Yep you guessed it ~ go to art collage...after that it's all been about work, work & more work, a great agent, an even better accountant most of all more luck than I think I deserve, but then again the harder I work the luckier I get :)

3. Where do you look for inspiration?


All over, anywhere I can, pretty much anything that gets my attention ~ I'm like a magpie or a very big sponge. When I'm lost I always go to the Mark Rothko room at the Tate Modern & sit there for hours until either I'm still lost or I need to go pee... then as I leave a see just how grey & flat London can be BANG there's my inspiration!
As for other folk around me, Sean Alexander has always been a good friend & big influence on me, Protools Pete always has time for a music or Mac related chat, Kate Banazi for fags, coffee & printing techniques oh & dog vomit... Kate Gibb cos most of the Agencies I work with worship her, and she's very understated in spite of it & Tommy Penton cos his work make me think of the ice creams I used to dream of as a kid. As for the folk I've worked with, I'm very, very lucky to have worked with some great creative people, from Jane Campion, David Fincher, Jonathan Glazer, Nick Darken, Ray Brenen, Terence Donovan, John Stuart, Frank Lieberman, Mark Andrews & Paul Owen ...the bacon, cheese, egg & brown sauce sarnies at Steve's café have probably done more for me though!

4. What is your favourite place?

In bed with my wife on a Sunday morning or on any beach, again with my wife :)

5. If you could own one piece of art what would it be?

Pretty much anything by Mark Rothko or Helmut Newton

6. What are your favourite websites? urm... i'm very into RSS feeds & "dipp'n" in & out of websites but otherwise:
ffffound.com
styleboost.com
timesonline.co.uk
rainhamsheds.co.uk

No comments: