Friday, October 3, 2008

Katherine Lubar - Studio 44



1. Describe your work.

Light patterns on man-made structures, usually interiors. For the past couple of years, I’ve been working on a series of lamp paintings – which I see, in a way, as portraits - they have a sort of human character to them.

2. How did you come to be doing the work that you do?

Actually, I can't remember a time when I wasn't painting or drawing, even when I was 2 and drawing on the wall, apparently!

3. Where do you look for inspiration?

Light, shadow, architecture, the colours in nature. Artists I've been influenced by: Michael Craig-Martin, Patrick Caulfield, Wayne Thiebauld, Vermeer, Caravaggio, Edward Hopper

4. What is your favourite place?

Would have to be the Maldives... if only I could afford to go back!

Also Puck's Glen in Scotland - a magical place

5. If you could own one piece of art what would it be?

St George and the Dragon by Uccello or one of Memling's triptychs


6. What is your favourite website?

interesting stuff about colour: coloracademy

to help the world: The Hunger Site, and the Rainforest site, Animal Rescue site, etc. etc.

and lastly, the craziness that is the US - The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Katherine Lubar

No comments: