Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Jay Burridge - Studio 6




1. Describe your work.


Kids toys from Lilliput. The theme which has run throughout all my work has been a question of scale. Children's toys are often scaled down simplified versions of everyday things in the world, I reverse this and scale them back up to life size but retaining a childlike simplicity.


2. How did you come to be doing the work that you do?


Luckily for me, my brother and sister, our parents met at the Royal Collage of Art in the Pop Art Revolution so we had paint and pencils thrust on us as soon as we could hold them.


I was never going to be an academic.

3. Where do you look for inspiration?

Toys'R'us and my old sketchbooks. My artwork needs to mature over time between the pages before it's ripe for making.


4. What is your favourite place?

In bed cuddling my family on a lazy morning.

5. If you could own one piece of art what would it be?


Raymond Duchamp-Villon, Horse
There's always one on display at the Pompidou in Paris and luckily for me I get to go at least 3 times a year and stand in front of it for a day or so.

6. What is your favourite website?

Totally biased but it has to be my little fashion project Lucky Seven custom made caps www.luckyseven.tv About four years ago I had a foray in to the fashion world which resulted in me meeting my wife and starting this company supplying bespoke baseball caps to discerning customers world wide.

The other site I look at every day is the Wooster Collective www.woostercollective.com

No comments: